Thursday, September 29, 2011

Large raise goes bad

My stack: 195 chips, opponents stacks: 105 chips
Blinds 3/6, levels raised every 15 minutes
My hand: 7, 7, in the big blind
Action: Opponent raises it to 12 total.
Answer: An opponent raise on the button is a common play in heads up. With two 7's you probably have the best hand right now. I would recommend calling about 40% of the time and raising about 60% of the time. I prefer to raise here because with just a call, its hard to figure out what cards he could be holding and in the big blind you are going to be acting first post-flop. Here, I would recommend making a raise somewhere around the size of the pot. You should mix it up and raise a little less then pot, pot, and a little more than pot to make it hard to read what you have.
Action: I actually raise it to 44 total. Opponent moves all-in and I call. He shows two aces.
Answer: Although the two 7's end up taking the pot with a straight, it was the wrong play pre-flop. By making a raise significantly more than the size of the pot, the odds being offered by the all in made it a tough fold. The pot was 149 and I only have to put in 61 more for a call. With odds a little less than 2.5-1 the call was justified as i was a slight favorite against AK, AQ, AJ, A10, KQ and about a 4-1 underdog against any higher pair. The real mistake made here was a 3 bet that was too large, practically pot committing myself into a call if he were to move all-in. A better play here would of been a raise of 20-28.



1 comment:

  1. After I made it 12 on the button, bringing the pot to 24 chips, a 3-bet of 15-20 would have told the same story/had the same effect as raising the amount you did. By raising so much, you subsequently pot-committed yourself to my all in 4-bet, and if I had a higher pair (which I did), you were screwed. Raising around 15-20 would still be a very healthy raise but it gives you some fold equity if I move in and you think you're beat.

    ReplyDelete